Friday, January 21, 2011

I married a mirror


“I like the Charcoal one. I like the dark grey one. But I like the Charcoal and it would look so good in that color. Well, I think the dark grey would work better. Charcoal. Grey.  CHARCOAL! GREY!” ect, ect, ect…. It could go on like this for days.

This is what happens when you marry a mirror. I should have known better. My husband and I waste most of our time arguing the same point when deciding on anything from wall color to what we want for dinner. It is exhausting. We think similarly on politics and family, have similar tastes in aesthetics and alcohol, and yet we agree on nothing. We were raised by families with a strong work ethic, yet somehow we both ended up in the Arts with zero attention span. We are both Aries (my birthday is the day before his), and while this might contribute to our bull headed arguments where we both feel we are the one in the right, I feel most of our disagreements are just the ridiculous projected ramblings that go on naturally in our heads. It is as if I am trying to convince myself on a point and so I try to convince my husband when he already agrees. It is a weird and useless thing we do. To be honest, I have never seen myself more than since I’ve been married. I really do feel like I married a mirror. I constantly have to see myself for who I am and I enjoy this new perspective. I’m glad I have my husband and a better grasp on who I am, but sometimes there are the moments I miss singledom and the cloud of escapism it can provide.   

No comments:

Post a Comment